Monday, February 16, 2009

I know it was a while ago but...

When Mickey and Ernie were out visiting earlier this month, one of the few things the boys sort of insisted on doing was go fishing. We have fishing poles and even live in a lakeside community but unfortunately for them neither me or Mike are really into the whole fishing thing. For me it is more fear than disinterest. Even though I grew up with the most outdoorsy dad in the whole world I never really got over my fear of touching a fish. I don't even feel comfortable holding worms. Now that I think about it, I don't even like those little squishy red balls they use for trout bait. Ridiculous I know but true. For Mike, I think it is more of a disinterest in fishing. Either way, the boys don't get to fish very often.


Grandpa Ernie loves to fish and has all the patience in the world when it comes to dealing with three little boys fishing lines, bait, and fish removal. We didn't need much equipment as you can see no chairs were necessary, just poles, a tackle box, and grilled hot dogs (the secret weapon).




Before they could even get all their lines in the water the fish were already biting! It was so much fun just to sit back and watch their faces when they were reeling the fish in. They were so excited and proud of themselves. Each time they caught a fish they had to have their picture taken with it.


Some of the fish were so strong I thought they were going to snap the fishing poles in half! It was always so disappointing when the fish got off before they had a chance to reel it in all the way. Nathan actually caught the same fish twice in a row! Not a very smart fish.


Jason had a few issues with his fishing pole but still caught quite a few fish. Of course the biggest one of the day was caught when the camera wasn't available. Good thing there were plenty of witnesses present to see it.


Marcus is definitely the most patient of the three. He is a true fisherman and would be happy to fish all day even if he never got a bite.


This is how I would stand if I were forced to hold a pole with a fish on it. Away from the body at all times until someone came to rescue me.


James came too but didn't have as much fun. He enjoyed the swings for a while and riding on Grandma's head but pretty soon he decided he was done and just wanted to go home.


Once the sun started heading too far down the horizon it was time to go. I'm sure the boys can't wait to go back to the lake, especially now that we know how much the fish love grilled hotdogs.

No comments: