Friday, January 9, 2009

Our new Pests...Er I Mean Pets

Marcus is the proud new papa of 29 harvester ants. He had been impatiently awaiting their arrival since the day after Christmas, and on Wednesday the came! The box they were delivered in was ominously marked with an -It's Alive- sticker. Oh to be a postal carrier.


The ant farm was by far Marcus' most prized Christmas gift. No sand for this ant farm. It's all suped up with lights and gel which is also their food.


Ever since they were dumped into their new home, Marcus has hardly left the counter. He is in awe by them and yells out when he sees them digging in the Jell-O as he calls it.


The fly swatter is just a precaution. The last thing I need is 29 crawling, biting arthropods loose in the house.


When the boys got home from school yesterday, I was shoved out of the way while in the middle of my "how was your day at school?' questions so that they could go see the progress the new family pets had made in the past seven hours.

I admit it, ant farms are awesome. I get giddy when the boys go to bed and I have one on one time with the ants. I am trying to convince Marcus that the safest place to keep them is on my desk in my office. So far, he doesn't agree.

No comments: