Wednesday, March 11, 2009

And so it Begins


Without an exact date nailed down as to when we are moving, I begin our packing rituals. We have moved so many times in the past ten years that we actually have a moving routine. I sort, and pack, and purge. Mike gets it all into the truck, out of the truck, and into the right room. He is also the official moving truck driver. I think I would have a severe panic attack if I ever had to drive that beast of a truck. After everything is in the right spot I begin the unpacking. We have gotten so good that at the end of moving day our new house is usually completely unpacked. No dilly dallying on that day.

As far as when we will move, we aren't sure. We are hoping to close early so that we would only have to move from point A to point B. If that doesn't happen then we would have to move out of this house and be out of here by the first. Then store our stuff, and bunk up with some poor sucker (Ryan) who will take us in for a week until we close. We are really hoping we can close early so we don't have to move everything twice.


One thing I have to admit that I like about moving is we (I) go through pretty much everything we own and get rid of all the unused/unnecessary stuff that we have collected. I am a purger. So far I have packed five boxes and tossed out four trash bags of junk. Throwing stuff out makes me feel a little less stressed for some reason.


As I was packing today, Nathan was pretty much under my feet the entire time. I must have almost stepped on him four or five times in the span of an hour until I took a break and made dinner. I am going to have to find more creative ways to keep him busy while I pack.


And this boy who shall remain nameless had a brilliant idea today. While I was packing he decided to wash out his popcorn tin he got from Christmas. Too bad he didn't think to poor out the popcorn first. He had filled the tin up with water and was mixing it when I walked into the kitchen. Maybe he was just trying to make popcorn soup. Who knows with our boys, they have some of the strangest ideas. One time Jason got toothpaste on his blanket that was in his bed. Instead of taking his blanket off of his bed to clean it, he decided to carry some water from his bathroom in his cupped hands up to his top bunk to wash off his blanket. The mind of a child is very entertaining.

I am very much looking forward to this move. To know that we won't have to move again for a long long time is such an amazing thing. I am excited to make the house our own, to meet our new neighbors, to have a real office, and to be a home owner. I'm so proud of Mike. If it weren't for his persistence we never would be doing this. I was convinced we couldn't buy a house yet, and he patiently persuaded me to try. I love that man of mine.

No comments: