Monday, December 8, 2008

Six



Marcus turns the big 0-6 on Wednesday. My shy little snuggly helper boy is getting so big! As you can probably see by that big cheesemeister smile in the picture, ever since he started kindergarten in August, that whole shyness part has worn off now.

He got to choose the extracurricular activity for the big day and bowling was it. So off we went at 9am, because that is James' happy time and that is when the bowling is cheap. Let me just say I am a sucky bowler. If there were only nine pins, then I would win medals or something, I can hit nine all day long. Since there are ten I can just forget about a bowling career. Mike took bowling in college, that's right, bowling in college, so he knows how to make the ball do S shapes and all sorts of other show-offy tricks down the alley before it knocks all the pins down on the first try.



Jason and Nathan insisted they didn't want bumpers. I listened. Bad idea. Halfway 7 frames into the first game, they had a combined 62 and were the only ones in the bowling alley that were shedding tears. For my sanity, I decided bumpers were going to happen. After that, everyone had a good time.



Birthday boy action shot



I always let them pick out what kind of cake they want for their birthday. They also get to pick the birthday dinner. I will make them whatever they want. Nathan picked filet mignon for his last birthday so I was kind of worried that Marcus might pick something expensive. I wasn't expecting him to pick SpongeBob shaped macaroni and cheese with hot dogs cut up in it like he did. Delish by six year old standards. He was waffling back and forth about what kind of cake he wanted. It was between Funfetti and cheescake. Funfetti won. As you can see, I am pretty dangerous with a can of icing.



Last but not least were presents. If you have never done a present paper trail you are really depriving your children. My kids enjoy this almost more than the actual presents. We hide the present somewhere and then give them a paper with a clue written on it that leads them to the next clue. Six clues later he found one the presents and we started with the next one. The older they get the harder their clues get. It is so fun to see the excitement in their faces as they race for the clues.



Nothing makes a birthday boy happier than slaying his brothers with his brand new Indiana Jones sword that makes very realistic sword striking sounds.

1 comment:

Butterfly said...

Nice cake!! I LOVE doing the paper trail with the kids, They love it too, it is sooo fun!