Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hello Officer



My dad is a sheriff for Maricopa County. If you know my dad you know that this is the perfect job for him. He has only been a sheriff for the past four years but even while I was growing up there were signs that it was meant to be. I remember my dad listening to a police scanner when I was a child, I remember my dad always wanting to go check out that fire down the street or the accident we drove by. And I remember him staking me out when I would go with my friends somewhere because he knew I was up to no good. It really was frustrating to try to be a rebelious teenager having my dad.



Anyway, this past weekend I went on a ride along with my dad. I didn't know exactly what to expect but I thought it would be cool to see a day in his life. There were a few things that I got to see that were completely cool. The first cool thing was driving fast. Going 100+ mph is scary and exhilerating at the same time. My dad told me they have a very formal name for the sensation you feel going that fast, it's called the pucker effect. If you use your imagination you can probably figure out why. Another cool thing I got to see was the feeling of authority and control. The stares, the waves, how people move out of your way as you drive, how eager people are to do exactly what you tell them to do. It feels like you have so much power which is sort of scary too, but when you help someone with that power, and you see the look on their face, it makes you feel real good inside. Something else I saw was the bond they share. The closest word I know to explain how it felt was family but that isn't completely right. The way they race to back each other up on calls, the way they trust each other completely to save their lives (which is a serious possibility to happen), the way they all cared about each other's families, and the way they talked to each other like they have known each other forever, was just amazing to me. It's something I have never seen before.

The parts that I thought were not so fun were the reports, you have to write sooo many dang reports and they have to be perfect. I never knew that. I thought you just wrote tickets and arrest bad guys, didn't know you spent half your time writing. Being outnumbered wasn't very fun either. We had gone over to this area where lots of people ride atv's illegally. There must have been over 40 people there hanging out and riding around. We had to go talk to them and tell them where they were allowed to ride and that their 7 year olds that were on giant atv's all by themselves had to at least where helmets and eye protection. It wasn't a rowdy crowd or anything but being outnumbered like that is scary. Something else that sucked were the police cruiser seats. Those things are so uncomfortable. I can't imagine sitting in those every day wearing twenty or so pounds of equipment.

I'm glad I went. I saw how much my dad loves his job. His friends told me crazy stories about some of his stops. Apparently elderly people aren't intimidated by my dad and often refuse to give him their license. I can just imagine my dad taking down a grumpy 70 year old guy.I could never do the job he and his fellow officers do. I am greatful that they do. They make my town a safer place to live and I appreciate all of them.

P.S. Happy Birthday Dad! I am making you your pineapple upside down cake tomorrow!


1 comment:

Double A said...

That is very cool. I love to see it when others love thier job as much as I do. When my wife rode with me (on a very boring night) she thought it was awesome and like you she saw why and how much we love our jobs. But lik you point out, most people dont really know what it is like with all of the stuff that happens behind the lights and sirens and tickets.

You are 100% correct on the bond you build with those you work with. It is hard to put into words, but you would do anything for them. One thing that is hard is you have these people that you work with that you have bonded with in life and death situations and they get it (the job and the stress) and sometimes it cuases friction with the family beucase its hard for them to understand the bond and why we dont share everything from work.

for those of us that love it, there is no substitute.