Thursday, May 14, 2009

The ER....Again

Lets just say I picked a bad day to get dressed exceptionally late for the day. After work yesterday (I work from home so I was still in pajamas) I decided to watch an episode of 24 with Mike since James was taking a nap. I completely forgot that the boys got out of school early on Wednesdays and didn't remember until it was almost time to leave. I didn't have time to shower or change out of my very sleek pajama ensemble which consisted of a tshirt and basketball shorts. It scares me to think about being late to get them. I just imagine them wandering around lost and sad. So I figured it wasn't a huge deal since I didn't have to get out of the van to pick them up. I could go home and shower right after.

WRONG

On the way to pick up the boys from school yesterday I got a call from the school saying that I had to pick up Jason from the office. He had hurt himself on recess. I thought it was strange because Jason hurts himself all the time and never really complains.

When I picked him up (in the office, in my pajamas, unshowered, nasty, and embarrassed) I could tell that something was wrong right away. Something about how he was standing didn't look right. The nurse told me he was playing two hand touch football at recess and in Jason's words, a much bigger kid fell on top of Jason and they heard a crack. Jason's shoulder hurt.

I could tell just by looking at it that it was broke or separated or something. We all piled in the van, gently of course, and headed to the hospital. Jason was crying the whole way and I felt so bad for him. We tried to talk to him about other things to keep his mind off of it but it hurt him a lot.



Diagnosis: Broken clavicle

One Vicoden and thirty minutes later he was feeling a lot better. While waiting to get his sling that he has to wear for the next 4-6 weeks I passed the time by pointing out all the other triage rooms I had been to at that hospital.

Me: We are in the same room James was in when he had Rotavirus. You are actually sitting wear he got his IV.
Jason: (Feeling very happy and poking his face) Oh that's funny.
Me: And that room right there is where Ryan was when he got stitches in his foot.
Jason: Sticking his tongue out and completely oblivious that I am talking to him.

An hour later he was discharged from the hospital with a new fashion accessory


I went and picked up the other boys from my dad's house and filled Jason's prescription (still in my pajamas), and finally went home.



He is feeling a lot better today. And last night was the best shower of my life. Simple things are hard for him to do now. And painful. Like putting on a shirt or tennis shoes, sleeping, and bathing. I get to help him with stuff I wouldn't normally get to do. I sort of like that I am able to baby him now. He can still manage to play the Nintendo though.

Lessons learned: Always take a shower before work, even if you work from home.

And

Football is meant to be played with pads on.

No comments: