Saturday, June 12, 2010

Marcus n Me

For a long time now I have been wanting to spend some one on one time with each of the boys. Just a special day for each of them to share with me where I could devote all my attention to just them. A few weeks ago I decided it was finally time to do just that so I let the kids pick an activity they would want to do on their day.


Today was Marcus' special day. He decided he wanted his activity to be the Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium so that is what we did!


Marcus LOVES fish. He loves to see fish, catch fish, and eat fish so this was the perfect place for him.


It was so nice being with just him. I had endless patience. I could listen to everything he wanted to say and watch everything he wanted me to see. I never got frustrated and just had fun.

It's important for them to have all my attention sometimes and I feel bad I can't do this with them more because they sure do need and deserve more special time with just me. They need time to shine.


The aquarium was way cool. We loved seeing all the unique fish, the penguins, sharks, and of course the manta rays.


We were both too chicken to feed the manta rays although Marcus would never admit it. He said he couldn't reach the rays to feed them and got all dramatic and showed me how he couldn't reach them (not really trying too hard), but he didn't have a problem when it came to petting them hehe.

You are supposed to hold the shrimp in between your fingers and put your hand in the water so the manta ray can swim over your hand and suck the shrimp out. Yeah no thank you. We both enjoyed petting and watching them swim though.


After the aquarium we walked around the zoo. It was perfect zoo weather! It's a rare time in Arizona when you can go to the zoo in June and it be in the 80's. I was thankful for that.


Off to the petting zoo we went. Marcus pet all the small non threatening looking goats and deer. We steered clear of the llama and turkey. Seriously, since when do they put turkeys in the petting zoo?? That thing was mean!


The animals thought Marcus' shirt was lunch.


This is my little sweetie I tell ya. He still gives me random hugs and kisses throughout the day. He always has to be sitting right by me at the dinner table or on the couch. He still wants goodnight hugs and kisses. Jason and Nathan allow me to give them a hug and a kiss on the cheek on the forehead but are, in their opinion, too old for it. Sad.


My favorite animal was the giraffes. You can get up close and feed them at this zoo. They come on over to you and stick out their ridiculously long black tongue to you in hopes that you will sprinkle some pellets out for them.


Marcus happily obliged.


About halfway through we to a quick break to share an Icee and cool off. Don't you love all of our self portraits? I need longer arms.


I love this cutie.


He kept getting so excited about what was coming up that he kept leaving me in the dust. He would holler back to me what animal was next.


Rhino.


Marcus and I decided that the rhino looked like a dinosaur.


I was amazed that the jaguar was within inches of our hand reach!

I think Marcus' favorite part of the day was when he got to feed the fish and ducks. I think we spent a half hour in this very spot watching the hoards of big ugly goldfish looking things and pushy ducks fight over Marcus' handful of pellets.


It was nuts I tell ya.


They had a nursery that you could go into and see all the baby animals. Aren't these the cutest little things? They make me want another baby. Almost. Well nevermind they don't but they were darn cute.


We capped off our day at the zoo with a mighty kids meal from McDonald's. I've never seen someone get so excited for a toy Shrek watch before. We set the time immediately and it hasn't left his wrist since then.

Today wasn't just special for Marcus, it was just as special for me. I love times like this when I can just get to know my kids better and share some quality time with them.

No comments: