Saturday, June 27, 2009

Nathan the Birthday Boy

Whew, yesterday was a whirlwind. As soon as we got home I was ready to collapse into dreamland. I really wanted to blog before I went to bed but my creative juices just weren't up to snuff so it had to wait.


Nathan is officially a decade old now and he was in hog heaven yesterday at his party. He chose to spend his birthday at Grandma's house. We swam all afternoon and ate lots of incredible food. I was blessed with a husband who is truly gifted at barbecuing.



One of the highlights of our afternoon was this inflatable bull. It started out with Mike and Stan trying to throw the kids onto the bull from inside the pool and seeing if the kids could stay on. It was so hilarious to watch. This game escalated to the kids, Mike, and Stan jumping off of the diving board and trying to jump and stay on the bull. My mom and I swam with James and laughed at the entertainment. If only I would have taken a picture to share. I highly recommend inflatable bull riding at your next backyard shindig.



After swimming, we played pinata baseball. We were getting sort of bored with the traditional pinata breaking so we decided that Mike would pitch the pinata to the kids and let them hit it.



It was a great success.



The pinata took ten great hits before Marcus busted it open. Candy and toys went flying and children were diving. Maybe we can start a new party trend. I can hear it now, pinata baseball the American birthday party pastime.



James hung out with Grandpa in the treehouse during the pinata opening to avoid being clobbered. He got a kick out of being taller than everyone up there.


I still can't rap my head around the fact that he is 10 now. He is turning into such a mature, wonderful person right before my eyes. Time flies.


We are both so proud of all that he is becoming.



Present time!! His favorite gifts were the rubberband gun and the nerf gun. Who would guessed that? Boys like toy guns?

After gifts we sang to him and had his cake. Cheesecake to be exact. Brianna also made him a special cake so we actually had two cakes. We went home completely stuffed.

The boys got to stay up all night and Mike and I hid out in the bedroom. All night ended up being about 3am for Marcus and Nathan, 4am for Jason. We woke up to every present Nathan received strewn about the floor, popcorn all over the floor, and three sleeping boys. It seems like they had a great time and that is all I wanted.

Happy Birthday Nathaniel, your momma loves you.

No comments: