Friday, March 20, 2009

Memories



Some of my favorite memories from my childhood are of my mom and my sister and I playing name that tune on our old faithful record player. My mom was usually the DJ and me and Sarah were the song guessers. Because of my mom, even at the age of 8 I was intensely into singers such as Don Maclean, Steve Miller Band, Pink Floyd, and Billy Joel. The days we played name that tune were magical to me. My mom was happier then than she ever was in my childhood, she could spend time with us and just be herself. We would dance and sing and laugh and life was perfect.

Twenty years later, I still listen to those old songs. Every time I play them it takes me right back to those happy childhood memories. The boys know them and like them too. When Mike is off at work we often play them and dance around the house. I can let loose around the kids and not be self conscious about my lack of dancing skills. I grew up knowing how to do the butterfly, the tootsie roll, and that casual dance that Will Smith taught Kevin James in Hitch, and that's about it. Actually I dance a lot like Kevin James did in that movie too.


It's such great fun to dance with them. I forget all my daily stresses and worries and just enjoy my beautiful children.

Maybe some day they will remember it as fondly as I do too.

1 comment:

sarahbear0821 said...

That sounds like such a fun time. I think some of the best times when we were growing up weren't when we would go out and do fun stuff, but when we would all just spend time together and really have fun. We should play again sometime. I might actually have a chance at guessing some of the songs before you now! :D