Saturday, May 1, 2010

Derby Day

Today was derby day, which for us was a perfect reason to have a party. There's nothing better than a good horse race to bring a family together. No but really, it was fun to have a theme party and gave me an excuse to wear a dress which I haven't done since my wedding which will be three years ago on Tuesday.


Mike's aunt and uncle (Tom and Mena) flew out to AZ because our parties are so awesome and they didn't want to miss it. Mena was a talented florist and turned my Mums into fancy works of art.


Tom and Mike dressed the part with their derby hats. Tom decided to go with the green shirt to try to channel the power of the money gods to come his way.



We spent the afternoon eating lots and lots of food, betting on the horses and playing washers.


Pros at work.


Washer watchers.


Me and my date in my fancy dress. Mike is so sweet he even dressed to coordinate with me.


Someone felt left out in the hat department.


One of the my favorite parts of the party (besides the food) was the hat contest. I had bought lots of cheap sunhats and craft supplies and we all decorated our hats!


Nothing like hot glue guns and glitter to liven up a party. There were two categories for the contest, prettiest and most outrageous.


Today I realized I need more craft projects in my life. There is something soothing about the smell of the glue as you attach your fake rhinestones and hot pink boa on straw hats that makes me want more.


They were a lot of fun and even the boys had a great time with it.


Kaci's was so pretty I would actually wear it in public.


I probably wouldn't wear Jason's hat in public. Except maybe to Walmart because you can wear anything there. He was going for the outrageous category (and won).


Mena was pretty in pink.


Outrageous in a nutshell.


Judging was tough, there was a fierce battle in the pretty category and we actually had a tie. Everyone revoted and my little cousin Daniel's hat came out victorious. Go Daniel!


All the action wore little Jack out so he took a power nap on his grampa.


RACE TIME!


Can you tell my husband is a big fan of horse racing? He was jumping, screaming, and fist pumping at the tv to move his horses along.


So close! We picked the right winner but needed the ten horse to come in second. He came in third. Darn horse.

It was a great time and every time we have a party likes this it just reminds me how important it is to make time for family. It is what keeps us content and happy.


I am already brainstorming for next year's derby party! So save the date!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I love the pictures. I wish I could have been there!